My Professional Interests:
- Full-time at practice at Sharp Memorial Hospital: a non-academic, suburban, community-based, Trauma Center in San Diego, California.
- Chief of the Department of Emergency Medicine from 2016-2020
- Emergency Department ECMO Director
Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO):
- Co-Founder of the World's first Emergency Department ECMO program.
- First Emergency Physician to successfully use ECMO to save a dying patient (2010)
Teaching & Medical Education:
- The REANIMATE Conference: Co-host & co-founder of the highly-acclaimed international resuscitation conference, which has been training bleeding-edge resuscitation techniques to clinicians for over 8 years.
- edecmo.org: Co-host and co-founder of the educational website/blog/podcast edecmo.org which explores ECMO and advanced resuscitation techniques.
- Acclaimed international public speaker on Emergency Medicine and resuscitation.
- Chief-of-Staff Elect at Sharp Memorial Hospital serving on the Medical Executive committee, the governing body that oversees quality assurance and patient safety throughout the Hospital.
- 10 years of experience on the Emergency Department Supervisory Committee, a committee tasked with overseeing Quality and Patient Safety in the Emergency Department.
- Chairman of the Sharp Healthcare Foundation Board of Directors, endorsing the power of grateful patient giving and community leadership.
- Co-Founder: 2vital2die 501(c)3 Foundation - a Foundation which raised funds to provide mechanical chest compression devices to the San Diego County Emergency Medical Services providers.
- Trustee, Sharp Healthcare Board of Directors, including membership on the following committees:
- Board Member: Information Technology Committee
- Board Member: Quality and Patient Safety Committee
- Board Member: Generational Health Steering Committee
- Board Member: ECMO Steering Committee
- Medical Executive Committee (MEC) member